Any type of dispute can be extremely stressful, but disputes involving your neighbours and your home life can be even more distressing. Property disputes consist of disagreements between yourself and other parties in relation to your home or commercial property.
Property conflicts arise as the result of numerous issues, such as ownership and responsibility of property lines, issues with noisy neighbours, or disputes with the local authority following the refusal of a planning application.
At South Bank Legal, our expert property dispute solicitors understand that disputes, particularly those involving your home or property, can be intensely personal. We understand that those involved will want to keep their costs to a minimum and resolve the dispute as soon as possible. Fortunately, we can assist you through every step of the process.
Property dispute solicitors
Our property litigation team of solicitors act, not only for homeowners, but for commercial property developers, property management companies (both residential and commercial), commercial landlords, tenants, vendors, surveyors, large retailers, estate agents and purchasers.
Our team of property dispute lawyers have years of experience representing clients, supporting them on a full range of property litigationlitigation: the bringing of a lawsuit or legal claim in cour... services.
Residential property disputes following a purchase
Our property law solicitors assist with a wide range of residential property disputes. If you have entered into a contract to purchase a residential property, our property litigation lawyers can help you with the following:
- Off the plan purchases. Where the property is a new build and the developer has failed to serve a completion notice by the long-stop date, we can advise on your rights under the contract. You may, for example, have a right to rescindan off the plan contract where the developer has failed to use reasonable endeavours to construct the property on time. A right to rescind may also arise where the developer fails to use reasonable endeavours to construct the property in accordance with the plan, resulting in a something materially different to what you had bargained for.
- Misleading statements about the property. Where the property’s plan, or a statement in the contract of sale, or the negotiations leading up to it, are misleading or inaccurate due to the seller’s error, it may also be possible to rescind the contract.
- Pre-contractual misrepresentationmisrepresentation: in contract disputes, a false statement t.... If a vendor or their agentmakes a statement that induces you to enter into the contract of sale, and that statement is untrue, you may be able to rescind the contract based on the false statement.
It is important however, that once you become aware of your right to rescindrescind: in contract disputes, to set aside a contract, or t..., you do so promptly. Otherwise, you risk affirming the contract and losing your right to rescindrescind: in contract disputes, to set aside a contract, or t.... Misrepresentation can also arise out of statements made by a seller in the Law Society Property Information Form. Statements of opinion are not actionable misrepresentations; however, an exception lies where the person giving the opinion knew the true facts, and therefore, could not have reasonably held the opinion.
Other property disputes
Our property litigation solicitors also act and provide legal advice in a wide range of general property disputes in many areas, including:
- Forfeiture and possession proceedings
- Breach of commercial lease covenants
- Boundary disputes
- Conveyancing disputes
- 1954 Act business lease renewals
- Dilapidation and disrepair claims
- Rent review disputes including landlord and tenant disputes
- Boundary disputes
. Party wall disputes
- Service charge disputes
- Disputes over rights of way
- Property damage
- Nuisance and trespassing
- Adverse possession
If your dispute involves a rented or leasehold property, our property litigationlitigation: the bringing of a lawsuit or legal claim in cour... team can provide you with advice and assistance on matters regarding disputes over service charges, possession proceedings, and breach of covenants.
The role of a property dispute solicitor
Property dispute solicitors carry out a range of tasks on their clients’ behalf, such as:
- Drafting any necessary statements of case, witness statements or applications
- Exchanging information with the other party as part of the disclosure process
- Choosing a strategy to use in court based on the information their client provides
- Presenting the case in the courtroom via a barrister
- Negotiating with the opposing party during the settlement phase of the case
Appealing your case if a decision goes against you.
ADR for property disputes
Our property dispute team will help you resolve the dispute in the quickest and most cost-effective way by exploring the possibility of Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR). This process consists of a range of resolution types from negotiation, mediationmediation: in the context of litigation and dispute resoluti..., or arbitration without the need to enter court proceedings. A large proportion of disputes can be settled using negotiation or mediationmediation: in the context of litigation and dispute resoluti....
Our aim is to help our clients achieve their commercial objectives in the most efficient way and to ensure that future disputes are avoided. When property disputes occur, it is important to seek someone who has an informed understanding of legal issues, experience in providing solutions and negotiating satisfactory settlements.
It may be that litigationlitigation: the bringing of a lawsuit or legal claim in cour... cannot be avoided; therefore, we can help you to bring or defend a property dispute claim in the civil courts or through the tribunals.
How can South Bank Legal assist?
Our property dispute solicitors cover all types of property and real estate disputes. We can provide legal advice to both individuals and businesses.
South Bank Legal Solicitors is a dispute resolution law firm based in London, registered in England and Wales, and authorised and regulated by the Solicitor’s Regulation Authority. The firm has several litigationlitigation: the bringing of a lawsuit or legal claim in cour... solicitors who each have over 20 years of experience.
Our property dispute solicitors provide timely and cost effective legal advice and representation to our clients.
For a confidential discussion with our expert team at South Bank Legal, please get in touch.
Get in touch today